Department of Homeland Security now administers the Secret Service.
- Exact number of officers detailed to the first family undeclared, for security reasons.
- The 1,300 Uniformed Division officers of the Secret Service protect the president, his family, and others such as the vice-president and family, ex-presidents and their families (limited to ten years), diplomatic missions, and foreign dignitaries visiting the United States, etc. requiring secret service protection. It also protects the Main Treasury building and annex.)
- Newly appointed officers normally work a 40-hour workweek on a set schedule (e.g., 6:30 a.m.-3:00 p.m., 2:30 p.m.-11:00 p.m., or 10:30 p.m.-7:00 a.m. shifts). Workdays and shifts will vary depending on assignment and manpower requirements.
- Overtime is compensated at the rate of time and one-half, or through compensatory time off .
- President Obama and first lady Michelle Obama’s May 30 trip to New York for dinner and a Broadway show incurred $11,648.17 in extra security costs documented by the U.S. Secret Service.